In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make Sleepover Excavations for the young Excavating Adventurers at your next sleepover to dig into and enjoy. Sleepovers are a lot of fun, and having activities ready to keep those excited guests busy is crucial to a successful sleepover. These Sleepover Excavations are sure to impress and keep those kiddos entertained and out of trouble.
Excavating Adventure Pro Tip: Take these Sleepover Excavations to a whole new level by sending the sleepover guests on a scavenger hunt. Hide these excavations and create a set of clues to send the guests on an exciting adventure to locate the excavations. Once the excavations have been found, the guests get to dig in and discovery the treasures you have hidden inside.
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle stick, wooden dowels, brushes, magnifying glass, and safety goggles. These will be the excavation tools and safety equipment your Excavating Adventurer will need to explore and enjoy their excavation. Make sure to have a set for each person at the sleepover.
Fun excavation items. For this tutorial, we are going to use an assortment of small to medium sized seashells I purchased at a gift shop several months ago, but you can use anything you think the children will enjoy discovering. Lego Mini Figurines are a great option. So are rocks and minerals, gemstones, fossils, and small toys and trinkets.
Containers. We are going to pour an individual excavation for each sleepover guest. You can keep this as simple or go as fancy as you like. Just remember, the bigger the excavation, the bigger the mess. I am going to use 9oz clear plastic cups.
Don’t have the time to make your own Sleepover Excavations? No problem because we have numerous excavation options designed to support groups of Excavating Adventurers. Be sure to check out our Class Packs for larger groups and our Birthday Digs for smaller sleepovers. Choose from rocks and minerals, fossils, and seashells and send each sleepover guest on an awesome Excavating Adventure they are sure to talk about.
Excavating Adventure Pro Tip: Take your Sleepover Excavations to a whole new level by including some edible excavations. We have lots of fun edible excavation activities that your sleepover guest will love. These delicious treats are not only yummy, but they have hidden treasures inside for your sleepover guests to discover and enjoy.
- Set up the cups and put a handful of seashells in each cup.
- Mix 3 cups sand with 1 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the seashells in each cup. If you run out of mixture, simply repeat the above steps to make more.
- Gently tap the sides on the cups to settle and level out the mixture. Push the seashells back down into the mixture should they try to float to the surface.
- Optional – Sprinkle glitter over the surface of the excavations. You can also decorate the surface with any leftover seashells.
- Place the excavations in front of a fan overnight until they dry completely. Once the excavations dry, you can add little starfish or sand dollars too!
- Optional – You can tie ribbons around the cups or decorate them with stickers. You may want to use a marker to label the Sleepover Excavations with the names of each guest. This will help reduce any confusion and disagreements over which excavation is for which guest.
- Find an area that can get a little messy and set up the excavations, sets of tools, and safety goggles for each guest.
- Let the sleepover guests dig in and discover the treasures you have hidden inside.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Have some zip close baggies available for the guests to store their seashells and take them home.
If your child loves the sleepover excavations, consider signing them up for to get a new Excavating Adventure each month. Each monthly excavation is loaded with rocks, fossils, seashells, and more to be discovered, identified, and collected. Enjoy excavations that foam, fizz, ooze, and even explode with our amazing and unique monthly subscription for kids!