DIY FOSSIL BED EXCAVATION
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a DIY Fossil Bed Excavation for the young Excavating Adventurer in your life to dig into and enjoy.
Excavating Adventure Pro Tip: This DIY Fossil Bed Excavation is a great activity to include in any discussions or lessons regarding dinosaurs, fossils, paleontology, and more. Be sure to explore our blog for dozens of DIY Fossil Excavation activities.
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle stick, wooden dowels, brushes, magnifying glass, and safety goggles. These will be the excavation tools and safety equipment your Excavating Adventurer will need to explore and enjoy their excavation.
Assorted bag of mixed fossils. These can be purchased online. You can also use fun little plastic dinosaurs.
Aluminum pie pan. You can also use the lid from Styrofoam take out containers or a paper plate with deep sides. The idea is to have a reasonably shallow container that is about 12 inches in size.
If you love digging for real fossils, be sure to check out excavation kit loaded with real fossils! We also have fossil kits for classrooms and birthday parties so you can bring an exciting fossil bed excavation activity to your next lesson or birthday celebration.
- Spread the fossils out in the bottom of the aluminum pie pan.
- Mix 3 cups sand with 1 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the fossils in the pan.
- Gently tap the sides on the pie pan to settle and level out the mixture.
- Optional – Once the mixture begins to set and firm up (usually after 8-10 minutes), place little plastic dinosaurs on the surface of the excavation.
- Place the excavation in front of a fan overnight until it dries completely.
- Once the excavation is dry, distribute the excavation tools and safety goggles and let your Excavating Adventure dig in and discover the treasures you have hidden inside.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Get online and look for an area near you to take your young Excavating Adventurer on a fossil hunt. You may be surprised to find an area close by that is accessible and available to search for fossils. Just be sure to follow any rules and regulations and have fun being a Junior Paleontologist for the day!
Be sure to check out our inexpensive and exciting monthly excavation subscription!