HOT WHEELS DISCOVERY DIG
- Plaster of Paris
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Excavation tools. Wooden dowels and other blunt instruments work well. Sharp tools are unsafe and not necessary as the excavations are reasonably brittle and excavate easily.
- Safety goggles
- Small brush
- Hot Wheels
- Container - Any plastic container will do.
Pro tip: Provide a container of water and an old toothbrush and encourage your excavating adventurer to have a car wash. You may also want to have some sections of Hot Wheels track available to add a little extra fun.
- Put one cup of sand in your mixing bowl.
- Add one-third cup Plaster of Paris.
- Use the wooden spoon to mix the sand and Plaster of Paris.
- Add one-third cup of water and mix.
- Keep adding small amounts of water until you reach a pancake like batter consistency.
- Add the Hot Wheels to the container.
- Pour a layer of the mixture into the container to cover the cars.
- Gently tap the sides of the container to remove any air bubbles. This will also allow a little mixture under the cars.
- Optional - Push some Hot Wheels into the excavation as it thickens leaving parts exposed and sticking up.
- Set the Hot Wheels Discovery Dig in a safe location to dry undisturbed overnight. I like to put the excavation in front of a fan.
Pro tip: Have some Hot Wheels monster trucks available or even include them in the excavation. The Hot Wheels Discovery Dig will produce enough sand and debris for the monster trucks race and roll through.
Now the Hot Wheels Discovery Dig is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up, distribute the safety goggles and excavation tools, and let the excavating begin.