E IS FOR EXCAVATION
E is for Excavation is a great sensory excavation activity that is sure to excite, entertain, and even educate those future excavating adventurers. This excavation activity will use cornstarch, refrigerator magnets, and a few other inexpensive and readily available items to make an awesome goop for your young ones to dig through, explore, and enjoy.
- Mixing bowl
- Number and letter refrigerator magnets.
- A container in which to pour the excavation. Plastic trays with high sides work well.
- Optional - Tempera paint
Subscribe to Excavating Adventures YouTube channel and enjoy our super easy and fun DIY excavation videos!
Not ready to make your own excavation? Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Mix about a cup of water with a cup and a half of cornstarch. You will need to use your hands as it is difficult to mix with a spoon. You will know the mixture is ready when it gets a consistency similar to honey.
- Add about three tablespoon or so of tempera paint. Add more paint if needed to get your desired color.
- Add more water or cornstarch if needed. You now have the oobleck to make your E is for Excavation activity!
- Place the numbers and letter in the tray.
- Cover with the oobleck.
Now the E is for excavation is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up and let your little ones dig in and discover the numbers and letters. Encourage them to organize them by shape or color and if they are beginning to read you can have them arrange the letters into simple words. Once the excavating is complete, store the oobleck in a container with a lid in the refrigerator to enjoy at a different time.
Pro tip: Trace the numbers and letters ahead of time on paper and instruct the excavating adventurer to match the letters and numbers with their corresponding shape.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and enjoyed making the E is for excavation sensory play activity. These excavations are very easy to make and a lot of fun!
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around letters, numbers, reading, and spelling.
If you love excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!
EARN FREE GEMSTONES, FOSSILS, ROCKS, AND MORE HERE!