JUNIOR SEASHELL COLLECTOR DIG KIT
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Junior Seashell Collector Dig Kit. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about oceans, shells, marine biology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, excavation kits and more!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
A small plastic organizer - You want an organizer with at least six or more compartments that are 1x1x1 inch or bigger.
Assorted small and medium sized seashells - You can buy these online, or get some for free through our free seashell program.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique Mini Dig excavation kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and more!
- Place some seashells in each compartment of the organizer.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the seashells filling each compartment. Be sure not to overfill the compartments or the lid may have trouble closing.
- Place the Junior Seashell Collector Dig Kit in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome seashells you have hidden inside.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Once the excavation has been completed, the organizer can be cleaned and used to store, carry, and to display the seashells.
Get a new excavation like our Seashell Search delivered every month for as low as $9.99. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff and much, much, more!