DIY CRYSTAL DIGS FOR ADULTS
- Container. This is an important step as this is going to be a gift. You will want to select a container that will appeal to the person to whom you are gifting the crystal dig kit. Personally I love old tins. Thrift stores often have a variety of old tins to choose from should you not have any on hand.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: For a more personalized feel, visit your local craft store and check out the unpainted wooden boxes. You can customize, paint, decorate, add sequins with a glue gun, and make these as awesome as you want. They often have little wooden treasure chests, heart shaped boxes, and a variety of shapes and sizes to pick from!
- Sand - Colored sand works too but just be aware this can get a little expensive depending on the size of the dig kit you are creating.
- Plaster of Paris
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowl
- Crystals - I love large crystals for this excavation activity. You can buy natural crystals online. Large quartz points are beautiful and reasonably inexpensive, and healing crystal towers may be a perfect selection for certain adult friends. Just be sure the crystal you select will fit in your chosen container and will appeal to the adult who is receiving the gift.
- Excavation tools - Safety goggles (you can find these for very little cost at dollar stores), small brush, and a chisel, large nail, wooden dowel or some other tool to use to excavate.
- Optional - Gold glitter
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Should your adult friend struggle with the dig, have them add drops and small amounts of water to the excavation. This will soften the material and make it much easier to remove. The moisture will also cause the crystal to sparkle and shine as it becomes uncovered.
- Place your crystal in the container.
- Dry mix one cup of sand with 1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris. Increase the recipe as needed to fill your chosen container at a three parts sand to one part Plaster of Paris ratio.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake like consistency.
- Optional - sprinkle gold glitter over the top of the DIY Crystal Dig.
- Allow to dry overnight. Depending on the size of the excavation, you may want to allow an additional night or two for the Crystal Dig to completely dry. If the excavation remains moist, it will be crumbly and will fall apart easily.
- Once the Crystal Dig is completely dry, wrap it up and gift it to your adult friend! Be sure to package the Crystal Dig Kit in a way that allows you to include the safety goggles and excavations tools.
- Instruct the recipient to find an area that can get a little messy and be easily cleaned up. Let them know they must wear safety goggles and let the fun begin!
Pro tip: The DIY Crystal Dig For Adults is inexpensive and a lot of fun to make. Your adult friends will enjoy the uniqueness of this gift and will be surprised how much fun it is to enjoy an activity normally reserved for kids!