HOW ARE FOLD MOUNTAINS FORMED?
In this fun and easy geology activity, we’re going to explore and investigate how fold mountains are formed.
- About a dozen towels
- Two large boxes
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Fold the towels in half and stack them on top of each other on the floor.
- Put one of the boxes on each side of the stack of towels.
- Have someone push each box toward the stack of towels. The boxes will represent continental plates and the towels will represent layers of sedimentary rocks being pushed up to form our fold mountain range.
- Observe what happens to the towels as the boxes move toward each other.
- Fold mountains are the most common type of mountain. This demonstration will give you an idea of how they are formed.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial. This geology demonstration is easy to create and enjoy and gives a representation of how fold mountains are formed.
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons about landforms, geology, mountains, and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!