GOLD DOUBLOON DIG KIT
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Gold Doubloon Dig Kit. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about pirates, treasure, gold, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free, rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, dig kits and even real gold!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Imitation Gold Doubloons - You can buy these online but they can often be a little pricey. You can simply use pennies and let your Excavating Adventurers imagination take over. You could also spray paint some old washers with gold spray paint. I have used plastic gold coins as well. These are really cool but are a little tricky as they tend to want to float when you are pouring the mixture.
Any small container that will fit your doubloons and allow room for the plaster mixture will work. I love rummaging through recycle bins for fun and unique containers I can use for excavations. For this tutorial I will actually use a little wooden treasure chest I purchased from a craft store. I think I paid around a dollar. The wooden chest is super cute and even has little metal hinges and a latch.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and more!
- Place the doubloons in the treasure chest.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the doubloons.
- Optional - Sprinkle a little glitter over the surface of the excavation to give it a little extra sparkle.
- Place the Gold Doubloon Dig Kit in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome doubloons you have hidden inside.
- The little treasure chest can be decorated and used to store the doubloons.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff, and much, much, more!