FANTASTIC FLUORITE FUN
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Fantastic Fluorite Fun excavation activity. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about rocks, minerals, geology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free fluorite, rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, dig kits and more!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Fluorite - You can buy rough fluorite inexpensively online. Fluorite is beautiful and is seemingly glows under UV light which is super cool for young Excavating Adventurers to explore and investigate.
Any small container that will fit your specimens and allow room for the plaster mixture will work. I love rummaging through recycle bins for fun and unique containers I can use for excavations. For this tutorial I will use a Chinese food take out container.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and even real fluorite!
- Rinse out the Chinese food take out container.
- Place the fluorite in the container.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the fluorite.
- Place the Fantastic Fluorite Fun excavation in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Cut and peel the Chinese food container away from the excavation. Place the excavation back in front of the fan if it is still wet.
- Optional - You can leave the excavation in the Chinese food container. Leaving the Fantastic Fluorite Fun excavation in the container looks really cool and even has the little metal carrying handle.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome fluorite you have hidden inside.
- Clean the fluorite. Then in a dark space, have your Excavating Adventurer shine the UV light on the specimens.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff and fluorite dig kits, and much, much, more!