DIY SHARK TOOTH DIG KIT
In this quick and easy tutorial we are going to teach you how to make a really cool shark tooth dig that is even shaped like a shark tooth. Your children will have a blast digging into these fun little excavations and discovering shark teeth. These shark tooth dig kits look really cool and are great for classrooms, birthday parties, or just to have fun on a random weekend afternoon.
- Small plastic container
- Model magic
- Plaster of Paris
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Megladon tooth - Don't worry if you don't have access to one of these as you will be able to easily make a shark tooth shape.
- Shark teeth - You can find these at the beach, gift shops, or for sale online.
- Excavation tools. Wooden dowels and other blunt instruments work well. Sharp tools are unsafe and not neccessary as the excavations are reasonably brittle and excavate easily.
- Safety goggles
- Small brush
Not ready to make your own shark tooth dig kit? Check out our awesome Shark Tooth Trek Excavating Adventure by clicking the image below. This excavation is filled with real fossilized shark teeth for you to discover, collect, and enjoy!
- Push Model Magic into the small container. You want to create a layer of few inches thick.
- Push the Megladon Tooth deeply into the Model Magic. If you do not have access to a Megladon Tooth, you can easily make a shark tooth shape in the Model Magic.
- Remove the Megaldon Tooth. This will leave a nice impression in your Model Magic.
- Now, put one cup of sand in your mixing bowl.
- Add one-third cup Plaster of Paris.
- Use the wooden spoon to mix the sand and Plaster of Paris.
- Add one-third cup of water and mix.
- Keep adding small amounts of water until you reach a pancake like batter consistency.
- Add a few of your shark teeth into the shark tooth impression in your Model Magic.
- Pour the mixture into the container.
- Gently tap the sides of the container to remove any air bubbles. This will also allow a little mixture under the shark teeth.
- Add several more shark teeth while the mixture is still wet.
- Set the shark tooth dig somewhere safe to dry undisturbed overnight. I like to put the excavation in front of a fan.
- Once the excavation has dried, gently turn it over onto a flat surface and remove it from the container.
- Allow the excavation to dry an additional twenty four hours, preferably in front of a fan.
Now the DIY shark tooth dig kit is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up, distribute the safety goggles and excavations tools, and let the excavating begin.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and enjoy making the DIY shark tooth dig kit. These excavations are very versatile and you can put pretty much whatever you want in them like seashells or even little plastic ocean animals.
If you love excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!