YUMMY GUMMY SHARK SEARCH
In this super quick and easy edible excavation tutorial, we are going to make a Yummy Gummy Shark Search for your young Excavating Adventurer to dig in and enjoy. This tasty treat is inexpensive, super easy to make, and a lot of fun.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Don’t have any shark gummies? No problem! You can easily use gummy bears or gummy worms and let your young Excavating Adventurer's imagination take over. They will enjoy this edible excavation no matter what you hide inside.
Check out our Dinosaur Discovery kit and find real fossilized shark teeth that are millions of years old!
6 Tbsp salted butter
6 cups mini marshmallows – Mini marshmallows melt easier than the larger ones.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups Rice Krispie cereal
Gummy sharks – You can often find these at candy shops, but they may be easier to find online.
Optional – Blue food coloring
13 x 9 x 2-inch pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Plastic spoons, forks, and knives. These will be the excavation tools.
Check out our other shark excavation ideas and DIY dig kits.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add a drop or two of blue food coloring. This step is not required but does give our edible excavation a cool ocean.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Coat the 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press a thin layer of mixture into the pan.
- Quickly scatter gummy sharks in the pan and press another layer of Rice Krispies mixture on top.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. The Yummy Gummy Shark Search is best if served the same day.
- Distribute the “excavation tools” and encourage the Excavating Adventurers to dig in and discover the sharks as they become marine biologists for the day.
If you enjoyed this fun Yummy Gummy Shark Search, be sure to check our other awesome edible excavation ideas.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Planning an ocean themed birthday party? These Yummy Gummy Shark Search treats are always a huge hit. Your birthday party guests will love digging into these delicious treats and discovering the gummy sharks hidden inside. You may also want to consider including our Seashell Birthday Digs in your celebration. Each no-prep kit is designed to excite and entertain birthday guests and is filled with real seashells for your guest to discover and collect! We also have tons of DIY blog posts if you are wanting to make your own ocean themed excavation activities. Check them out and Happy Excavating!
If you love excavating and discovering as much as we do, be sure to subscribe to Excavating Adventures and get an exciting new dig kit delivered every month!