In this fun and easy geology science experiment, we’re going to investigate and explore soil and sediments by making soil shakers.
- Several jars with lids
- About a half cup each of different types of soil (topsoil, upper soil, sub soil, deeper soil)
- Magnifying glass
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Fill each jar with the half cup sample of soil.
- Fill the rest of the jar with water until it is about three quarters of the way full.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously for several moments.
- Repeat this process for all your soil samples.
- Wait about two hours for the samples to settle and then investigate with your magnifying glass.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun creating your own Soil Shakers to investigate and explore different types of soils.
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons about soil, sediment, geology and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!