MINERAL MINE EDIBLE EXCAVATION
In this super fun, easy, and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to make an edible excavation that the young Excavating Adventurers in your life will love. This Mineral Mine Edible Excavation will take the original Rice Krispies Treats recipe and add a fun Excavating Adventures spin. We’ll take this tasty treat and turn it into a delicious strata of Earth to explore and discover the yummy candy rocks we have hidden inside.
Fun fact: Strata are layers of rock, or sometimes soil. The study of strata is called stratigraphy and a scientist that studies strata is called a geologist.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Don’t have any candy rocks? No problem! You can easily use M&M’s and encourage your Excavating Adventurer to dig out and mine these “M&M minerals.” Their imagination will take over and they will enjoy the edible excavation no matter what you hide inside.
Explore our Excavating Adventures store for hundreds or dig kits and excavation activities filled with unique rocks and minerals.
6 Tbsp salted butter
6 cups mini marshmallows – Mini marshmallows melt easier than the larger ones.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal
Chocolate rock candies – You can often find these at candy shops, but they may be easier to find online.
13 x 9 x 2-inch pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Plastic spoons, forks, and knives. These will be the excavation tools.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Coat the 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press a thin layer of mixture into the pan.
- Quickly scatter chocolate rocks in the pan and press another layer of Cocoa Rice Krispies mixture on top.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. The Mineral Mine Edible Excavation is best if served the same day.
- Distribute the “excavation tools” and encourage the Excavating Adventurers to dig in and discover the chocolate rocks as they become geologists for the day.
If you loved this fun snack time science themed activity, check out our other awesome edible excavation recipes.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Planning a geology themed birthday party? These Mineral Mine Edible Excavations are always a huge hit. Your birthday party guests will love digging into these delicious treats and discovering the chocolate rocks inside. You may also want to consider including our Rocks and Minerals Birthday Digs in your celebration. Each no-prep kit is designed to excite and entertain birthday guests and is filled with real rocks and minerals for your guests to discover and collect! We also have tons of excavation tutorials if you are wanting to make your own geology themed excavation activities. Check them out and Happy Excavating!
Get a new excavation delivered each month with our geology themed science subscriptions for kids. With six subscriptions plans to choose from, you are sure to find an awesome option for the young Excavating Adventurer in your life.