MAKE A GIANT GEODE DIG
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to Make A Giant Geode Dig. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about geodes, rocks, minerals, geology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, excavation kits and more!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and more!
- Place some geodes in the coffee can.
- Mix 3 cups sand with 1 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the geodes.
- Repeat making and adding mixture until the coffee can is nearly full.
- Place the Giant Geode Dig in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome geodes you have hidden inside.
- Once the geodes have been discovered, place them one at a time in the sock and gently tap with the hammer until they crack open.
- Remove from the sock and enjoy!
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff and much, much, more!