HOW TO HOST AN EXCAVATION PARTY
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Excavations aren't just for kids! If you are looking for a new, cool, and unique party idea then look no further! This quick post will show you how to host an excavation party. Your guest will love digging into this fun activity that is relaxing, entertaining, and allows for conversation while keeping your guests engaged.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Excavations make a great activity for birthday parties. Excavating Adventures offers Birthday Digs and many other different excavations that are great for birthday parties, but you can also easily make your own with items you choose. Throwing a dinosaur themed birthday party? Make a batch of excavations with little plastic dinosaurs inside.
- Pick a location to throw the excavation party. You will need an area that can get a little messy and be cleaned up easily. An excavation party is great for patios and outdoor areas, but can also be easily held indoors.
- Get a guest list together.
- Invite your guests. Apps, email, and texts all work. Just make sure you make a couple extra excavations for those friends that do not RSVP.
- Pick a theme for your excavation party. I love throwing crystal parties. You can find beautiful and inexpensive crystals at your local rock shop or online.
- Make sure you have enough tools and safety equipment for each guest.
- Container. You can use anything, but I often like to get creative and use containers that can be decorated or match the theme of the excavation party I am hosting. Old cookie tins work great. You can even paint the lids with chalkboard paint and write something fun or the name of the guest on them. You can also visit a craft store and explore the unpainted wooden item section. There are often wooden boxes of different designs and sizes to use for just about any excavation party.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: These excavations make great party favors, goody bag items, and take home gifts for birthday parties.
- Sand - Optional: Use colored sand!
- Plaster of Paris
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowl
- Excavation items - You can use pretty much anything. Just make sure it is something fun that your guests will enjoy discovering.
- Excavation tools - Safety goggles, small brush, and a chisel, large nail, wooden dowel or some other tool to use to excavate. As mentioned above, make sure you have enough of each item for each guest.
- Optional - Gold glitter, sequins, or other things to decorate the surfaces of your excavations.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Have a little fun with how you distribute the excavations to guests. You could have the guests draw numbers, play a white elephant style selection process, or maybe even have the excavations setup by seats at a table and do a musical chairs style game to let people get a seat and excavation.
Subscribe to Excavating Adventures YouTube channel and enjoy our super easy and fun DIY excavation videos!
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
Make your excavations:
- Place your items in the containers.
- Dry mix one cup of sand with 1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris. Increase the recipe as needed to fill your chosen container at a three parts sand to one part Plaster of Paris ratio.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake like consistency.
- Optional - sprinkle glitter or other decorative material on the surface of your excavations.
- Allow to dry overnight. Depending on the size of the excavations, you may want to allow an additional night or two to completely dry. If the excavations remains moist, they will be crumbly and fall apart easily.
- Once the excavations are completely dry, you are ready to have your excavation party.
Pro tip: Hosting an excavation party is inexpensive and a lot of fun. You will be the talk of the town after throwing this fun and unique party!
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun learning how to host an excavation party. These excavations are very easy to make and a lot of fun!
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Excavations are great activities for sleepovers and birthday parties. Just make sure to have an excavation for each participant, safety goggles, and excavation tools!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!