HOW ARE METAMORPHIC ROCKS FORMED?
In this fun and easy geology science experiment, we’re going to investigate and explore how metamorphic rocks are formed.
- Wire coat hanger
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Have an adult unhook the wire hanger.
- Bend the wire back about thirty times. The wire will heat up so be careful with the hot wire.
- Press hot section of the wire against the candle. The candle will melt.
- This demonstrates that movement within the earth can create heat and pressure that can alter and change rocks.
- Metamorphic rocks form when rocks are subjected to high heat and high pressure. Conditions like these are found deep within the Earth or where tectonic plates meet.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun exploring how metamorphic rocks are formed.
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons about metamorphic rocks, the rock cycle, geology and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!