ERUPTING MOON ROCK EXCAVATIONS
Get ready for a fun and exciting excavation activity that is out of this world! This quick excavation adventure will teach you how to make super easy moon rock excavations that not only look awesome, but use a chemical reaction to erupt and reveal their hidden treasures inside.
Fun Fact: Apollo 11 astronauts collected over 840 pounds of lunar materials from 6 separate lunar sites, which equated to approximately 2,200 separate samples.
- Baking Soda
- Cup or glass
- Black food coloring
- Gold and silver glitter
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Tray on bin
- Safety goggles
- Disposable gloves (keeps hands from getting stained by the food coloring)
- Small items to be excavated. I love using little plastic aliens or other space themed items. Little toys that glow are also a big hit. If you want to get real elaborate, you can purchase tektite or meteorite specimens online! Just be aware, real meteorite specimens can be expensive!
Not ready to make your own excavation? Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- In the mixing bowl, mix together the 4 cups of baking soda and 1/4 cup of water. Add lots of glitter and a couple drops of food coloring.
- Stir the mixture with the spoon.
- Put on the gloves and mold the mixture around the excavation item into the shape of a rock.
- Set the Erupting Moon Rock Excavations in a safe location to dry undisturbed overnight. I like to put the excavations in front of a fan.
Now the Erupting Moon Rock Excavations are ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up, distribute the safety goggles, and let the excavating begin.
- Place one or more Erupting Moon Rock Excavations in the tray. Be gentle as they can be a little brittle.
- Add some vinegar to the cup.
- Demonstrate how to dip the straw into the vinegar and place your thumb over the end to hold vinegar in the straw. Then remove your thumb to demonstrate how the vinegar will pour out.
- Instruct your child to use the straw to drip vinegar on the Erupting Moon Rock Excavations.
- The rocks will begin to bubble and fizz, eventually revealing the awesome items you hid inside.
- Use the tongs to remove the items from the vinegar.
- Rinse the items with water and allow them to be enjoyed!
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and enjoy making Erupting Moon Rock Excavations. These excavations are very easy to make, inexpensive, and a lot of fun!
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons regarding the moon, space, the solar system, stars, or outer space.
If you love excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!