EMERALD MINE EDIBLE EXCAVATION
In this super fun, easy, and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to make an Emerald Mine Edible Excavation that the young Excavating Adventurers in your life will love. This Emerald Mine Edible Excavation is a spin on good old fashioned Rice Krispies Treats recipe, but we add a fun Excavating Adventures activity. We’ll take this tasty treat and turn it into a delicious emerald mine to explore and discover the yummy edible emeralds we have hidden inside.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Use this edible excavation to create some fun and excitement around topics or lessons concerning gemstones, emeralds, mining, and more!
6 Tbsp salted butter
6 cups mini marshmallows – Mini marshmallows melt easier than the larger ones.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal
Several packs of M&Ms
13 x 9 x 2-inch pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Plastic spoons, forks, and knives. These will be the excavation tools.
- Remove all the green M&Ms. These will be our edible emeralds.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Coat the 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press a thin layer of mixture into the pan.
- Quickly scatter the green M&Ms in the pan and press another layer of Rice Krispies mixture on top.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. The Emerald Mine Edible Excavation is best if served the same day.
- Distribute the “excavation tools” and encourage the Excavating Adventurers to dig in and discover the emeralds as they become gem miners for the day.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Planning a geology themed birthday party? These Emerald Mine Edible Excavations are always a huge hit. Your birthday party guests will love digging into these delicious treats and discovering the edible emeralds inside. You may also want to consider including our Rocks and Minerals Birthday Digs in your celebration. Each no-prep kit is designed to excite and entertain birthday guest and is filled with real rocks and minerals for your guest to discover and collect! We also have tons of DIY dig kit ideas if you wanting to make your own geology themed excavation activities. Check them out and Happy Excavating!