DIY TYRANNOSAURUS REX DIG
A Tyrannosaurus Rex Dig is one of the most exciting excavation activities for young Excavating Adventurers. These amazing creatures ignite the imagination and are a perfect addition to any excavation. In this super quick and easy tutorial, we are going to show you how to make your very own DIY Tyrannosaurus Rex Dig to share and inspire with your children and friends.
- Sand (Colored sand works too!)
- Plaster of Paris
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowl
- Tyrannosaurus Rex - There are many exciting options when choosing your T-Rex. One of the most common options are the small plastic dinosaur assortments. These often have a T-Rex as well as several other dinosaurs. There are larger T-Rex toys if you want to make a really impressive oversized excavation. There are glow-in-the-dark T-Rex skeletons, regular skeletons, skulls, and even T-Rex teeth. You can even step your excavation up a notch and add some real fossils!
- Container - Any plastic container will work. Just make sure it is big enough to hold your Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- Excavation tools - Safety goggles, small brush, magnifying glass, and a chisel, nail, wooden dowel or some other tool to use to excavate.
- Optional - Small plastic dinosaurs playset. These are the small dinosaur assortments we mentioned earlier but some come with plants, volcanoes, vehicles, and other fun things that you can use to decorate the surface of your DIY Tyrannosaurus Rex Dig.
Pro tip: Soften the T-Rex excavation with a little water if it is difficult for your young Excavating Adventurer to dig.
Subscribe to Excavating Adventures YouTube channel and enjoy our super easy and fun DIY excavation videos!
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Place your T-Rex in the container.
- Dry mix one cup of sand with 1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris. Increase the recipe as needed to fill your chosen container at a three parts sand to one part Plaster of Paris ratio.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake like consistency.
- Optional - Allow the excavation to start drying and set for several minutes. Then decorate the surface of the excavation with your dinosaur playset items by gently pushing them into the plaster.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- Once the excavation is completely dry, find an area that can get a little messy and be easily cleaned up. Distribute the safety goggles and excavations tools and let the fun begin!
Pro tip: This is a fun and easy little excavation activity that is very inexpensive. You can even make several of these and use them as activities for dinosaur themed birthday parties!
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun creating your own DIY Tyrannosaurus Rex Excavation to investigate and explore. These excavations are very easy to make and a lot of fun!
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons about dinosaurs, fossils, paleontology and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!