DIY EASY KINETIC SAND EXCAVATION
In this fun and easy excavation activity for kids, we’re going to make super simple kinetic sand and fill it with awesome items for your Excavating Adventurer to discover.
- Corn starch
- Dish soap
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Play sand (Colored sand also works great!)
- Plastic bin or container with lid
Items to excavate. Seashells are a lot of fun but feel free to use whatever you like to add to your kinetic sand excavation.
Subscribe to Excavating Adventures YouTube channel and enjoy our super easy and fun DIY excavation videos!
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Combine 1 and 1/2 cups of corn starch with 6 cups of play sand in the plastic bin and blend together until it’s well mixed.
- Stir together 2 teaspoons of dish soap and 3/4 cup of water in a separate container until it’s fully mixed and just a little bit bubbly.
- Mix the water and dish soap solution to the corn starch and play sand mixture and stir until it’s well blended.
- Should the sand seem a little too dry, slowly and gradually add small amounts of more water until it gets to a consistency you prefer.
- Push your excavation items into the sand.
- Should the kinetic sand get dry, add more water. Should it lose its squishiness, add another squirt of dish soap to get it back to normal.
- When you find yourself finished playing, let the kinetic sand dry out, and after that replace the lid back on the container in order to save it for the next time.
- When you find yourself wanting to have fun with the kinetic sand again, add the 3/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of dish soap back in, stir it all up, hide more excavation items, and it will be terrific once again.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun creating your own DIY Easy Kinetic Sand Excavation to investigate and explore. These excavations are very easy to make and a lot of fun!
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons about seashells, oceans, marine animals and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!