AMAZING GLOWING OOBLECK EXCAVATION
In this fun and easy excavation activity, we’re going to make glow in the dark oobleck to explore and investigate. This is a great sensory activity that little ones really enjoy and the glowing oobleck lends itself well to space themed lessons or activities.
Have fun getting messy with this super simple and fun Amazing Glowing Oobleck Excavation activity!
- Black light or other UV light source
- Tonic water (the label must say it includes quinine)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Optional - Glow in the dark washable paint
Items to excavate. I love using little plastic aliens and other space themed items. Small items that glow are also fun additions to the glowing oobleck exploration excavation!
Subscribe to Excavating Adventures YouTube channel and enjoy our super easy and fun DIY excavation videos!
Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Add about ½ cup of cornstarch to the mixing bowl.
- Begin adding the tonic water one tablespoon at a time. You want to keep doing so as long as your oobleck remains fluffy. If you think the oobleck is about to get soupy, cease adding tonic water. If you do end up adding too much tonic water, just add a little more cornstarch to balance out the mixture.
- Push the excavation items into the oobleck.
- Whenever you move your hand through the cornstarch and water mixture gradually, it’s going to feel like slimy liquid. If you tap hard on the mixture, it will behave like a solid.
- Search for a dimly lit or darkened room. Once inside the darkened space, hold a black light above the container of cornstarch and tonic water. You will observe the oobleck glowing blue. Continue to examine the amazing glowing oobleck and enjoy allowing your little one to explore and excavate the items.
- Optional - Add a few squirts of washable glow in the dark paint to the oobleck for an extra layer of glowing fun!
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and had fun creating your own glow in the dark oobleck to investigate and explore. This amazing glowing oobleck excavation is very easy to make with items that are readily available or reasonably easy to acquire.
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons regarding planets, stars, outer space and more!
If you love rocks, geology, and excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!