OCEAN ORBEEZ EXCAVATION
- Clear orbeez (water beads)
- Little plastic ocean animals
- An empty smooth sided two liter bottle with the label removed and top cut off. You want to bottle to be as tall as possible because your excavating adventurer will be reaching through the orbeez to recover treasures from the bottom of the bottle.
- Optional - Blue food coloring
- Bottle or pitcher of water.
- Fill the two liter bottle three quarters of the way full with water.
- Optional - add a drop or two of blue food coloring. You do not need a lot of food coloring and too much will stain hands and arms once the excavating begins.
- Add orbeez and wait until they have fully grown. Read the orbeez directions for an estimate of how long this will take (plan on an hour at the minimum). You will also need to judge how many orbeez to add. You are trying to fill the two liter bottle as much as possible.
- Once the orbeez have fully grown, pour off all the excess water.
- Now reach down through the orbeez and place the plastic ocean animals at different locations. The orbeez will hide the animals from site.
Pro tip: Get a mixed bag of shells and add these instead of the little plastic ocean animals to your ocean orbeez excavation!
Now the ocean orbeez excavation is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up and let the excavating begin. Encourage the excavating adventurer to reach down into the bottle and discover the hidden ocean animals. After a while, use the pitcher to add water back into the two liter bottle. This will seemingly magically allow any remaining ocean animals to appear and is a really cool effect!