VELOCIRAPTOR DIG KIT
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Velociraptor Dig Kit. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about dinosaurs, fossils, paleontology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free, rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, dig kits and even real dinosaur bones!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Plastic Velociraptor toy - You can find these in dinosaur toy assortments or purchase them individually online.
Any small container that will fit your Velociraptor toy and allow room for the plaster mixture will work. I love rummaging through recycle bins for fun and unique containers I can use for excavations. For this tutorial I will use a plastic coffee can.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, gemstones, seashells, real fossils and more!
- Place the Velociraptor toy in the coffee can.
- Mix 3 cups sand with 1 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the Velociraptor toy. The toy may try to float. Simply wait about five minutes and push the toy back below the surface of the excavation.
- Make more mixture if needed until you are able to fill the container and cover the toy.
- Place the Velociraptor Dig Kit in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the fun Velociraptor toy you have hidden inside.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff, fossil dig kits, and much, much, more!