GROW A GUMMY BEAR EXCAVATION ACTIVITY
In this super quick and easy edible excavation tutorial, we are going to make a Grow A Gummy Bear Excavation Activity for your young Excavating Adventurer to dig in and enjoy. This tasty treat is inexpensive, super easy to make, and a lot of fun.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Don’t have any gummy bears? No problem! You can easily use gummy worms or any gummy candy and let your young Excavating Adventurers imagination take over. They will enjoy edible excavation no matter what you hide inside.
If you love excavating, learn how to get a dig kit for free! Go on a virtual gem mining trip and get real gemstones, rocks, fossils, minerals, seashells, and excavation kits delivered right to your door for free!
6 Tbsp salted butter
6 cups mini marshmallows – Mini marshmallows melt easier than the larger ones.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups Rice Krispy cereal
Optional – food coloring
13 x 9 x 2-inch pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Plastic spoons, forks, and knives. These will be the excavation tools.
Clear plastic cups
Excavating Adventures has hundreds of excavation kits and activities to choose from. Check out our huge selection of dig kits and find the excavation that is right for the Excavating Adventurer in your life.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add a drop or two of food coloring if you want.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Coat the 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press a thin layer of mixture into the pan.
- Quickly scatter gummy bears in the pan and press another layer of Rice Krispies mixture on top.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. The Grow A Gummy Bear Excavation Activity is best if served the same day.
- Distribute the “excavation tools” and encourage the Excavating Adventurers to dig in and discover the bears.
- After a few gummy bears have been recovered (and a few eaten for fun!), fill the cups with water and drop a gummy bear or two in each cup.
- Observe the gummy bears for several days and enjoy watching them grow!
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: The Grow A Gummy Bear Excavation Activity is a great way to demonstrate osmosis. Osmosis will cause some of the water molecules to move from the water in the cup into the gummy bears. The gummy bear will fill with water and get bigger. The gummy bear is made of gelatin. Instead of dissolving in water, the gelatin will act like a sponge, absorb water, and grow in size.
Want to investigate osmosis with super absorbent polymer? Then check out some of our Excavating Adventures Extreme kits. Many of these unique excavation kits have real rocks, fossils, seashells, and more hidden among amazing super absorbent polymers like instant snow, giant SAP spheres, crazy growing crystals and more!