FOOL'S GOLD MINI DIG KIT
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Fool's Gold Mini Dig Kit. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about rocks, minerals, geology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free, rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, dig kits and even pyrite!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Pyrite (Fool's gold) - You can find inexpensive bags of pyrite online. You can also spray paint small rocks with gold spray paint to make your own fool's gold if you do not have access to real pyrite.
Any small container that will fit your pyrite and allow room for the plaster mixture will work. I love rummaging through recycle bins for fun and unique containers I can use for excavations. For this tutorial I will use a plastic yogurt container.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, real pyrite and more!
- Rinse out the yogurt container.
- Place the pyrite in the container.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the pyrite.
- Optional - Sprinkle a little gold glitter over the surface of the excavation to give it a little extra sparkle.
- Place the Fool's Gold Mini Dig Kit in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome pyrite you have hidden inside.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff, Fool's gold dig kits, and much, much, more!