FOOL'S GOLD FUN DIG
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a Fool’s Gold Fun Dig excavation activity. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about pyrite, rocks, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, excavation kits and more!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Empty Altoids Tin
Pyrite - You can easily find pyrite at rocks shops, online, and in gift shops. You can even spray paint some rocks with gold spray paint and make your own fool's gold for this fun excavation activity if needed.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique excavation kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and more!
- Place some pyrite in the tin.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the pyrite.
- Place the Fool’s Gold Fun Dig in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome pyrite you have hidden inside.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff and much, much, more!