DIY SALT DOUGH FOSSIL FIND
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Cookie sheet
- Tray or bin
- Optional - Brown water color paint
- Optional - Little plastic dinosaurs. These are fun to use to add to the fossil find.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Use a brush and paint your salt dough dinosaur bones with brown water color paint. The brown water color gives the dinosaur bones a cool and realistic fossil style look.
- Mix 2 cups of flour with 1 cup of salt in the mixing bowl.
- Mix in 1 cup of water.
- Knead the dough for a minute or so until the dough becomes firm.
- Shape the dough into dinosaur bone shapes.
- Place the salt dough dinosaur bones on the cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes for each inch of thickness.
- Optional - Once you bones have been removed from the oven and cooled, paint them with the brown water color paint.
- Add the bones to the tray or bin and cover with sand.
- Provide your young Excavating Adventurer with a brush, let them dig into the DIY Salt Dough Fossil Find and become a paleontologist for the day!
Pro tip: This DIY Salt Dough Fossil Find is a super fun excavation activity to include in any lesson or discussion involving fossils, dinosaurs, paleontology and more!