DIY DINOSAUR EXCAVATION ACTIVITY
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we’re going to show you how to make a DIY Dinosaur Excavation Activity. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about dinosaurs, fossils, paleontology and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, excavation kits and more!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Plastic toy dinosaur
Plastic container that is big enough to hold the dinosaur
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Swap out one big toy dinosaur for an assortment of small plastic dinosaurs. You can often find a pack of a dozen or more at your local dollar store for super cheap. The small dinosaurs can also be used to decorate the surface of your DIY Dinosaur Excavation Activity to give the dig kit a cool Jurassic world feel.
Check out our awesome collection of exciting and unique mega dig kits and excavation activities! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, seashells, and more! These oversized excavations are loaded with large specimens to add to your collections.
- Place the dinosaur in the plastic container.
- Mix 3 cups sand with 1 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the dinosaur.
- Make another batch of mixture if needed to cover the dinosaur and fill the excavation.
- If the dinosaur tries to float to the surface of the excavation, simply allow the excavation to set for a few minutes and then push the dinosaur back below the surface. The mixture will firm up and hold the dinosaur.
- Place the DIY Dinosaur Excavation Activity in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the awesome dinosaur you have hidden inside.
Excavating Adventures Pro Tip: Not ready to make your own dinosaur excavation activity? Then check out our Dinosaur Discovery kit filled with fossils and even real dinosaur bones.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, inexpensive monthly Mini Digs, trivia, tons of free stuff and much, much, more!