DIY DINO EXCAVATION KIT
In this quick and inexpensive tutorial, we are going to show you how to make a DIY Dino Excavation Kit. These excavations are super easy to make and are a great teaching resource to include in your next lesson or discussion about dinosaurs, fossils, paleontology, and more.
Be sure to check out our free Digital Dig virtual gem mining. Answer trivia and earn points you can redeem for free, rocks, minerals, fossils, seashells, dig kits and even real dinosaur bones!
Plaster of Paris
Popsicle sticks – Popsicle sticks are inexpensive, readily available, and make great excavation tools.
Safety goggles or glasses – You we need to provide or borrow a set for each student.
Optional – Brushes and magnifying glasses.
Plastic toy dinosaurs
Plastic container big enough to hold the toy dinosaurs and plaster mixture.
Check out hundreds of exciting and unique dig kits! Excavating Adventures has a kit for everyone. Explore dig kits filled with rocks, minerals, gemstones, seashells, real fossils and more!
- Place the dinosaurs in the container.
- Mix 1 cups sand with 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture over the dinosaurs.
- Keep adding mixture until the dinosaurs are covered and the container filled.
- Place the DIY Dino Excavation Kit in front of a fan overnight until it is completely dry.
- Distribute the excavation, excavation tools, and safety goggles to your Excavating Adventurer and have fun watching them dig in and discover the dinosaurs you have hidden inside.
Take some time to explore the Excavating Adventures website. We have monthly excavations that get delivered right to your door, Build Your Own excavations, a blog filled with amazing excavation ideas, trivia, tons of free stuff, fossil dig kits, and much, much, more!