AWESOME ERASER EXCAVATIONS
You can get erasers in about every size and shape imaginable these days. These cute little items are not only useful, but they are fun to collect and enjoy. In this super quick post, we are going to show you how to make Awesome Eraser Excavations.
Fun Fact: Before modern erasers were invented, people used waded up pieces of wet bread to remove mistakes.
- Plaster of Paris
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Excavation tools. Wooden dowels and other blunt instruments work well. Sharp tools are unsafe and not necessary as the excavations are reasonably brittle and excavate easily.
- Safety goggles
- Small brush
- Erasers. I like to use a set of themed erasers. You can find dinosaurs, insects, animals, and more.
- Container - Any plastic container will do. If possible, try to find a container that is aligned with the set of erasers you chose. Another simple solution is using stickers aligned with your theme to decorate the container.
Not ready to make your own excavation? Check out our awesome $1 excavation offers by clicking the image below.
- Put one cup of sand in your mixing bowl.
- Add one-third cup Plaster of Paris.
- Use the wooden spoon to mix the sand and Plaster of Paris.
- Add one-third cup of water and mix.
- Keep adding small amounts of water until you reach a pancake like batter consistency.
- Add the erasers to the container.
- Pour a layer of the mixture into the container to cover the erasers.
- Gently tap the sides of the container to remove any air bubbles. This will also allow a little mixture under and around the erasers.
- Optional - Leave a few erasers partially exposed on the surface of the excavation.
- Set the Awesome Eraser Excavation in a safe location to dry undisturbed overnight. I like to put the excavation in front of a fan.
- Optional - Stick some pencils into the excavation and leave them pointing up at different angles. You can even find pencils that match the set of erasers you used. Just be aware the excavation may damage the pencils so keep a few extras to distribute to your excavating adventurer.
Now the Awesome Eraser Excavation is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up, distribute the safety goggles, excavation tools, and let the excavating begin.
I hope you enjoyed this super quick tutorial and enjoy making Awesome Eraser Excavations. These excavations are very easy to make, inexpensive, and a lot of fun!
Pro tip: Use this activity to create some excitement around discussions or lessons regarding bugs, bees, insects, animals, dinosaurs, or whatever theme that you used in your Awesome Eraser Excavations.
If you love excavating as much as we do, be sure to check out our Excavating Adventures monthly subscription by clicking the link below and get an awesome new excavation delivered each month loaded with rocks, minerals, gemstones, fossils, and more!