TRAVEL TUBE EXCAVATION
- Plaster of Paris
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Excavation tools. Wooden dowels and other blunt instruments work well. Sharp tools are unsafe and not necessary as the excavations are reasonably brittle and excavate easily. Just be sure you select a tool that will reach to the bottom of the tube.
- Safety goggles
- Small brush
- Items to excavate - you can pretty much use whatever you want as long as it fits in the tube.
- M&M's Mini Tubes
Pro tip: I like to use tumbled rocks and gemstones in my Travel Tube Excavations. These stack neatly in the M&M's Mini Tube which adds a cool experience for your excavating adventurer. They discover more and more treasures as they dig their way down through the tube. Also, once the tube has been fully excavated, it can be used as a storage container for the treasures as it has an awesome little hinged lid that snaps closed securely.
- Put one cup of sand in your mixing bowl.
- Add one-third cup Plaster of Paris.
- Use the wooden spoon to mix the sand and Plaster of Paris.
- Add one-third cup of water and mix.
- Keep adding small amounts of water until you reach a pancake like batter consistency.
- Add the items to be excavated to the tube.
- Pour a layer of the mixture into the tube to cover the items.
- Gently tap the sides of the tube to remove any air bubbles. This will also allow a little mixture under and in-between the items.
- Set the Travel Tube Excavation in a safe location to dry undisturbed overnight. I like to put the excavation in front of a fan. Be sure to secure it in a way that if it gets bumped it does not fall over.
Pro tip: These Travel Tube Excavations are not just for hitting the road as they also make great homemade stocking stuffers, birthday party favors, classroom rewards and more. The different colored tubes can lend themselves to any occasion and they are very easy to decorate! There are tons of tutorials online of cool ways to decorate M&M Mini Tubes which makes them very versatile for whatever you may be celebrating.
Now the Travel Tube Excavation is ready to be enjoyed. Find an area that is easy to clean up, distribute the safety goggles and excavation tools, and let the excavating begin.